↑ Back to Top

FKA Sindell Law Offices, P.C.
Sign Up Now >>

E1 - E2

E-1 (Treaty Trader) and E-2 (Treaty Investor) visas are authorized based on the existence of a treaty of commerce and navigation between the United States and the country of ownership of the sponsoring applicant entity.  The sponsoring U.S. entity must be at least 50% foreign owned.

  • Individuals looking to invest and start U.S. business entities qualify for such visas, as long as they are nationals of countries that have a treaty with the U.S.  Such Principal Investors must be coming to the U.S. to develop and direct the enterprise.

  • In addition to Principal Investors, E-visa eligible companies may sponsor foreign nationals in an executive, managerial or highly specialized position if the employee and the sponsoring company are of the same nationality.

E-1:  An E-1 Visa is a Treaty Trader Visa, and the U.S. sponsoring entity must conduct substantial trade between the U.S. and the applicant’s country.  Substantial trade is defined as more than 50% of the trade occurring between the U.S. and the applicant’s country. 

E-2:  An E-2 Visa is a Treaty Investor Visa, and is based on the applicant’s substantial investments into the U.S. economy and contribution to the creation of more U.S. jobs.  The foreign owner(s) of the U.S. entity must have invested or be actively investing a substantial amount of capital into the U.S. through the U.S. entity.  The investor must have control of the funds, and the investment must be at risk in a commercial sense. 

While E visas usually last for five (5) years, they may continue to be extended as long as the U.S. business entity is successfully operating.

To see the E-Visa Eligible Countries List, click here.